Sample "Do Now": Meet the Lichens - Ecology
This is a sample "Do Now" from Life Science "Do-Nows" and "Exit Tickets": 180 Days of Warm-Up and Closure Activities. "Do-nows” are “warm-up”, or introductory activities, meant to focus students during the first few minutes of class while teachers take attendance or do other classroom “housekeeping” chores.
This is just one thought provoking article that relates to topics commonly covered in biology. It is somewhat challenging, but not so difficult that students are filled with questions about how to complete the activity. Use THIS ARTICLE to help you teach an ecology or other unit. An ANSWER KEY is included.
- Each article IN THE BOOK follows the same one-page format. Within each article, blanks have replaced ten words, which can be inferred through the context clues. Students make their best "educated guess" as to the missing words.
- The uniformity of the assignment enables all students to experience success as they become accustomed to the format.
- Besides use as starter activities, the 180 articles could be used during general classroom instruction and discussion.
- Articles are organized by topic: biochemistry, cellular energy, classification, ecology, evolution, genetics, human body systems, reproduction, scientific inquiry, and study of life.
- Many of the articles would also be appropriate for health classrooms. This is a versatile instructional tool!